Aug 30, 2013

An Adoption of Epic Proportions

As I headed into week two of our Glorious Grace study I was met with the overwhelming sense of Paul talking to ME. He addresses the believers at Ephesus but throughout the first 14 verses of this book I felt like his words were intended to pierce my heart as well.

Paul's explanation of how we were all chosen before the creation of the earth is amazing to me. Predestination can be a hot topic of discussion in some circles but for me it simply means this:

Every single person has been chosen as a child of God no matter their race, gender, handicap, or socioeconomic status. God sent His son to repair the damage Adam and Eve had done in the Garden of Eden. The one crucial requirement to become God's children in eternity is to believe Jesus died for our sins and to accept him as our personal Lord and Savior. 

Everything seems minuscule to me when I think of the results produced by Jesus' sacrifice.


These truths build the foundation for each of our relationships with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. For once we believe these promises we are given a beautiful gift: 

In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation-having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.
Ephesians 1:13-14
Sealed with the Holy Spirit to begin a transformation in us that will be completed in eternity...this give me the chills! What an amazing way to show His love for us.

The other truth that is deeply personal to me is God's adoption of us. My first marriage ended four years ago with my ex-husband walking away from me and our three young children for a life of drug addiction. I am now remarried and soon my husband will be adopting my children and they will officially be "our children". I think of the moments in my past when I questioned God's love for my little family. I wondered if they would ever have another earthly father to love them.

God took my fears, desires, hopes and dreams and created a story of monumental healing and redemption. He restored my family and gave us a fresh start to begin anew. He has also given us brothers and sisters in Christ here on earth and a completer family for eternity.

Paul's words resonate with me as I dive deeper into this study. His explanation of God's love for us is beautifully stated and gives me a new hope each morning.





Blessings to you!


Linking up with the Faithful Blog Hop today!
Faithful Friday











Also linking up with Mel at Essential Thing Devotions!

10 comments:

  1. What a story of redemption!! Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Thanks for sharing your heart and story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting that these verses so resonated with your own story! Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome Katie, thank you for providing a safe place to land!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reading Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful to read how God has cared for you and your children. What a blessing. And what an encouragement to others going though difficulties.

    I really loved this line: Everything seems minuscule to me when I think of the results produced by Jesus' sacrifice.

    Sara (sarasamomx5)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belonging is a big deal for many of us and the promises we have of our adoption in Christ are so encouraging. Love those verses from Ephesians. Such a great post, again, Sarah!

    Thanks for linking up at Essential Fridays.

    Blessings

    Mel from Essential Thing Devotions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for reading Sara! I am praying that God will use our story to show others His mighty power and love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Mel. God's power is truly amazing and I'm grateful for the hope given to each of us.

    ReplyDelete