Jun 28, 2013

Five Minute Friday: The In Between

Prompt: In Between


She looks over at me with frustration in those gorgeous hazel eyes. As she struggles to identify the letters my heart aches with sadness. I am her personal coach, cheer leader, teacher, mother. I listen to her name the ones she already knows and I can hear the smile in her voice. The other letters, however, bring my girl to a place I've never seen before.

We are in between the point of identifying and comprehending. The in between where the light switch hasn't flipped on just yet. I can't help but remember how easy it was for my oldest child to remember letters, combine sounds, and begin reading at the ripe old age of four.



My sweet daughter is not excited to sit down with me and "read". I'm stupid. This is what she tells me.

My skin crawls when any of my children say this word, especially about themselves. I reassure her she is not in any way, shape, or form stupid. I put her on my lap, smother her with kisses, and tickle her until she begins to laugh uncontrollably.

We just have to keep trying.

 

I'm joining Lisa Jo Baker and other fabulous bloggers for the writing prompt on Lisa Jo's blog. Stop by and read what others are writing about their In Between and leave a friendly comment!

Five Minute Friday

2 comments:

  1. Oh my heart aches for your little girl and for you! I have been exactly where you are! I homeschool my 3 kiddos for the last 6 years. Ok, well my oldest for the last 6 years and my youngest is about to turn 4 in a few weeks, but I think you know what I mean. :) May I recommend trying Leap Frog's Letter Factory DVD? I used it with all 3 of my kiddos and it helped a ton with them picking up on the letters and sounds they were a little unsure about. Also the Word Factory DVD. We also enjoyed singing along to the catchy tune. Praying with you through this season. I can promise you though there is a beautiful and triumph end in the keep trying. Blessings! So glad to be your FMF neighbor today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it! Watching her struggle is difficult. I will be looking into the suggestions you offered. Have a blessed day!

      Delete