Jul 8, 2013

Changing My Evening Attitude




Evenings are difficult for me. After being with kids all day I am tired, a little grumpy, and just plain irritable.

I'm not the best with time management. This in one of the biggest reasons I get moody once 4:30 rolls around. I will give myself some grace and admit that with a huge life change occurring (we moved from Tennessee to Ohio about six weeks ago) it takes time to adjust.

The only problem with having an *evening attitude* is this: the people in my house are largely affected by my disposition.

My husband works long hours right now because he's the new guy at work and still learning the ins and outs of the business. He comes home worn out most days and I usually greet him with a measly peck kiss and a quick, How was your day? I can see this disappointment on his face sometimes because he knows I'm in a mood.

My kids can sense the slightest change in the air and grab hold of it with their little iron fists. When my mood changes so does theirs, especially my oldest.

This problem has been nagging at me for some time now and I really just need to change my attitude.

While searching scripture for encouragement I came across this little nugget of wisdom from Proverbs 19:13 - "A foolish son is his father's ruin, and a quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping." 

YIKES

I do not like the sound of water constantly dripping from a leaky faucet. It's annoying. It means maintenance needs to be performed somewhere along the system and if the dripping is not addressed the water can potentially cause major damage.

I don't want to be the dripping water in my home. I want to greet my husband with a genuine smile, kiss, and listen to his story.

My children need to see their mother making it through dinner without losing her temper.

These are hard things to admit! Yet I find myself sharing this because I believe we all have an area where we may be the "constant dripping".

So how can I change?

Some things come to mind right way:  make time to pray, remember who I'm serving, develop some time management skills, take deep breaths throughout the day, and just have a good attitude.




Q2Y:  How do you cultivate a good attitude for the evening?

Linking up with Women Living WellThe Better MomRachel Wojo, and Raising Arrows


TheBetterMom.com



















4 comments:

  1. oh Girl. My grumpy time hits around 7 pm. :) Thanks for the "me too." Powerful. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, this hits where it hurts! Mid-afternoons tend to be my grumpy time and sometimes just having a snack helps, but prayer is the best. I don't want to be a dripping faucet either, and creating a good atmosphere when my husband comes home from work is something the Lord has been speaking to me about, too! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Jen! With so many things going on daily it's easy to get caught up in "me, me, me". So glad God is patient with me (along with my hubby and kids!).

      Delete